an action or an instance of negligence that is deemed injurious to the public welfare or morals or to the interests of the state and that is legally prohibited.
criminal activity and those engaged in it: to fight crime.
the habitual or frequent commission of crimes: a life of crime.
any offense, serious wrongdoing, or sin.
a foolish, senseless, or shameful act: It's a crime to let that beautiful garden go to ruin.
The biggest difference between deviant behaviour and a crime is, that a crime is against the law, while deviance is only against social norms.A crime has an added characteristic in that a law has been passed against it, making it a crime or criminal offence.Deviation is what is defined as not normal by norms, values, or laws. This could be something like wearing the wrong kind of clothes to a party or killing someone – deviance is behavior that is not seen as acceptable or normal.
examples for deviant behaviour (but not criminal):
- A woman who pretends she's pregnant to keep her boyfriend - devious, but not a crime.
- A child who says he will clean his room after you give them their reward - then he does not. No crime committed, but a mistrust is gained.
- A boyfriend who says he'll kill himself if his girlfriend leaves. Manipulative, but no crime.
- putting a permanent outhouse in a residental area
- smoking marijuana
- Illegal Music Download
- picking provincially protected wildflowers
Putting a permanent outhouse in a residental area should be a crime, because eventually the sewage will leach into other peoples´properties , possibly contaminating water causing neighbours to get seriously sick.
In my opinion, illegal music downloads should be legalized, because so many people are engaged in doing that already without penalties. It seems impossible to stop people downloading the music as it is a global phenomenon.